Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pocket Change

Wednesday, Feb 8th, I looked up from what I was doing and saw Brodrick pick up a quarter and put it in his mouth. I said, Brodrick, No, NO! Cah, cah! He then started grinning and shaking his head no. (A few weeks ago, Brodrick would have been super obedient, and would even fish out things from his own mouth that weren't supposed to be there.) In my defense, we don't have loose coins just hanging out around our house. The big kids just put the cushions back on the couch and the quarter was probably found while the cushions were off. I jumped up and went right to him to fish it out myself. He was already in the process of swallowing it. My finger swipes did more harm than good as I tried to pry it out of this esophagus, my finger pushed it farther down. I was FREAKING OUT!

I called my father-in-law then the pediatrician and they both decied it would be best to get an x-ray to find out the location on the quarter- and to make sure it made its way down to the stomach and didn't get stuck. We went in, had an x-ray done, and saw that it made it safely to his stomach. Doctor's orders were to wait for him to pass it himself.

The next day, Brodrick was NOT HIMSELF. He even spiked a fever on 103°F, vomited once, and kept falling asleep. I called the pediatrician and they wanted me to bring him in. So in we went. They were worried the quarter could be stuck and wanted us to go for another x-ray. So in we went.


Waiting at the doctor's office.
We went for an x-ray and I had enough sense to take a picture the second time. (You always hope you'll remember to do things like take a picture in hind sight and as luck-or not so much luck- would have it, we had another x-ray.)
A big coin for a little guy.
We wanted to make sure the coin wasn't stuck in the appendix and starting an infection. We waited to hear word from the surgeon at Primary Children's Medical Center, and the attending said that she had never heard of a quarter getting stuck in the appendix and that the fever and vomit were probably a red herring, and just a virous.

We are still waiting for the quarter's appearance. We are hoping it will show up soon. If I don't find it in one of Brodrick's diapers, we may need to go for another x-ray...

****2/15/2012 UPDATE****
Went for an x-ray today and there was no quarter to be seen. My sifting was not up to par but it doesn't matter since the result it the same: The quarter is OUT of him!!