Monday, February 27, 2012

Adventures in Box Hunting

If you've ever moved in your life you know you must have boxes to get the job done. Well, to get it done more easily than it would have been without the boxes....

Anyway, it is always stressful for me to find boxes when moving. I'm always calling places like Target and Walmart that have no boxes available because they toss them into a box crushing machine, to leave the people who are moving and need boxes, to break down themselves and buy needed boxes from places like the Home Depot.

Thankfully, I didn't have to buy boxes for our recent move. I got a lead from calling one store, that a different store in town- a little hardware store had boxes. Because they are a smaller store and do not have a box crusher, and as a result have a surplus of boxes. Score.

So I made my way to the store with the boxes and was directed out back to the all cardboard dumpster where they put the boxes. 
the mover's dream come true: free boxes.
 The trouble was, there weren't many I could reach just standing out side of the dumpster. Being 6 feet tall, I knew a littler person would have no hope. I even stood in the little holes where the fork lift type arms insert into the dumpster. Still I didn't have what I needed and the boxes were just inches away from my finger tips.

Determined to get the boxes I needed I knew I had to think up a quick plan. I knew if I got in, I could just throw out the boxes I needed. I also know that I no parkcor-er and could not get back out without assistance. I saw a stack of pallets near the dumpster so I dragged one over, hefted it into the dumpster and climbed in with it.
...TADA! the perfect latter for exiting the dumpster...
 Within minutes, I had a HUGE pile of collapsed boxes, ready to be taped back into shape and filled with all our stuff.

Turns out, we had so many boxes that a large portion went unused for the move. So thankful for things like free moving boxes.

No comments: