Saturday, October 13, 2012

Sibbling Sleepover

Because of some abuse that I experienced while staying the night at a friend house when I was young, we have a family rule that we do not have sleep overs (without either Tim or I being there). There has been one exception, when Amelia stayed the night at my sister's house where there were only girls. (And I'm not saying that females cannot be perpetrators, but it is more uncommon.)

Last Friday night (Oct 5), Amelia wanted to have a "sleep over" in her room with her brothers. We had never done it before, and so I was willing to give it a try.

Three happy children, having story time with Amelia before bed.
They had so much fun snuggling together, reading books. I was a little unsure about how long it would take them to fall asleep and how the dynamic of them all being so close in proximity would pan out. Brodrick and Amelia are VERY active sleepers, and Brodrick woke up crying at least once a night for the 4 nights previous.

Passed out.
I didn't need to worry about the falling asleep part. It seemed that as soon as I turned off the light they were quiet and after a few minutes I sneaked in to find them all sound asleep. About an hour afterward, I heard Amelia crying in her sleep. She was bumping into her brothers, and being side swiped by Brodrick's arm/leg. So, I put her back on her bed. The other two boys slept really well being next to each other. It went over so well, that we may let it happen more often. It was a fun little change up for a weekend.

Its amazing to me the love I feel well up within me looking at my sleeping children. Its very nostalgic having watched them so much as infants while they were sleeping. And of course I love them each during the day, but to see them quiet, content, and stationary is a wonderful thing. :)

1 comment:

Homeschooling6 said...

How cute the boys have a favorite blanket to cuddle with. It's funny because we have 5 beds for our 6 children but often times we find them sleeping on the floor in one bedroom. They don't snuggle up so much anymore now that they are older but you see these little lumps with a head or feet sticking out =)