Thursday, October 25, 2012

Holes in Her Ears

When she was not even three years old we had the conversation of how people can wear earrings. That you have to go to a special store and people poke holes in your ears and then after a long time, you can change the earrings. She was relentless and kept telling me, "I want holes in my ears." I took her to Claire's to see a little girl get her ears pierced. The girl was a few months younger than she was at the time. After seeing the other girl get her ears pierced (a slight flinch/jump that could have easily been from the loud noise right by her ear vs the pain- no tears were involved), she decided she didn't want her ears pierced any more. So, we went home and I would ask her every now and again, until just recently she was adamit that she did NOT want to have them pierced.

Fast forward to the beginning of October. She would casually ask about the pain associated with getting her ears pierced. After my answers she would say something like, I might want to get my ears pierced some day. Then, one day, she just decided she was ready. I called that day to see if there were two workers at Claire's so that both ears would get pierced at the same time. There was just one person working, so we didn't make it in that day, fearing that we would end up with just one ear pierced. Then finally on October 13th Amelia and I went to the mall to get her ears pierced in the early afternoon on a Saturday- to be sure to have two workers there. She was so happy about choosing the little flower earrings that had different colors for each pedal. Both ladies came over and just like that it was done. Amelia did cry. A lot. It took a few minutes for her to calm down and she wasn't completely recovered until she was offered a sucker.

That night before bed. So happy with her earrings!
The first day or so her ears were quite tender and she did not enjoy having them cleaned. She now doesn't mind it (we still need to clean them three times a day) and feels so grown up having her ears pierced! I can't believe how fast Amelia is growing up!

No comments: