Monday, August 6, 2012

Broken Arm

July 29th I went down to my brother's house for a quick visit. While I was there I got a phone call from Tim saying "You need to come home right now, I think Amelia just broke Miles' arm." I got there as fast as I could, which was about 20 minutes. Miles had been crying the whole time and when I got home he was laying in his bed since it was already past his bed time. He quickly told me that Amelia kicked him off the couch and that it hurt his arm. I asked if he wanted medicine to help it feel better, which he did. I went to grab he medicine and when I came back he was asleep. Since I couldn't really tell how bad the injury was with him being in bed sleeping, I decided to just let him sleep.

Around midnight Miles rolled over in bed and screamed in pain. I went to give him the medicine I hadn't been able to give him before he fell asleep when I first got home. He was not calming down so I brought him to our bed. I had a gut feeling it was broken. In an attempt to not go to the ER, I went to the kitchen and layered several pieces of cardboard from cereal boxes, fitted them to his arm size, stuck them in a large sock, and splinted his arm, wrapping his arm with an ace bandage. The stabilization seemed to help him. He was able to calm down and we went back to bed. Sleeping next to him I could hear his little whimper every time he moved in his sleep.

About 5am he rolled over again, which cause some horrible pain. I decided it wasn't fair for him to have to wait till 9am to call to make an appointment at the pediatrician's office that would probably be later in the day, so we got our shoes on and headed for the ER. We were so blessed that there was not wait. I literally walked in the doors, got signed in, took Miles to triage for some vitals and weight, then went right back to our room. I didn't even get to meet Miles' nurse before the DR came in to check out the situation.

Seconds later the nurse was there and upon telling them the story above, both were shocked and amused to hear that I splinted his arm myself. That's how I roll folks. The X-rays were ordered and we quickly were taken to Radiology. They were done in no time and we were back in his room. The DR came back in and said that the arm was broken. I was given instructions for care and a tech came in to splint his arm and fit him with a sling. The tech and I got to talking about adoption and turns out, she was adopted. We had a great talk while she worked and even after she was done, and then we were on our way. We were in and out of that ER in just under 2 hours, and Tim just made it on time to work with the van.
Waiting in his hospital bed for his X-ray.

Miles was so happy when they game him a robot blanket for coming in to the ER.

Miles with his arm all splinted and ready to go.
A few days later we went to get Miles a cast. We took his splint of the night before to make sure he got a bath before having the cast put on, since I was assuming he wouldn't be able to get his cast wet. At the appointment I was finally able to see the X-ray.


Buckle Fracture of the Radius

Miles is excited to get the splint off.

Happy guy with his green, waterproof cast.
Miles tells everyone when they ask how he broke his arm, that 1) his sister kicked him off the couch and  2) that his cast is waterproof so he can go swimming at a local water-park.
--I am so happy that they have waterproof casts now. The gauze that they wrap the arm in before layering it with the hard cast material is made from a plastic mesh, so it doesn't absorb water. It is just awesome!--

No comments: