Sunday, September 11, 2011

9.11.11

Has it really been ten years?

I'm sitting in a dorm room at Jesus College in Oxford University, UK. Tim came to present at a Physics conference, and I came with him (more on this later).
On the street and as we made small talk with other tourists, local and foreign, it was remembered that today marked the 10 years since the twin towers were hit and fell. Before any of the lectures were given, it was mentioned that all those in attendance (from all over the world) remembered with those from the US, what happened ten years ago.

I remember coming up the stairs to my mother sitting on the couch in her bath robe staring at the tv screen. She said something hit the twin towers. The news reporter then said that they thought it was just a small plane. Then, the other tower was hit and we saw that it was no small plane... I then rushed out the door to go to seminary.
In seminary, the TV was on as the class watched the news. We were all confused and scared.
I will never forget the chill that went down my spine and the pit I felt in my stomach when the  towers came down. Next period was US history. Still, the news was on. We watched history as it happened.

Today I mourn for those who lost and were lost. But I also rejoice in the unity that was felt as the country came together to support each other because of what happened. Even though I wasn't in NY, I could feel it. Prayers were said, faith was strengthened. Trust was put in God that we would make it.

Today, ten years later, I remember that faith, and again, put trust in God, that we can still make it.

Where were you on September 11, 2001?

No comments: